Tuesday 14 May 2013

Quilt for a friend...


Last time I posted about buying some cute girly fabric ...



Sometimes I'll just keep bundles of fabric and debate for weeks (or months) what to do with it. This bundle, however, was purchased with a particular project in mind. One of my best friends told me she was having a girl! I bought this fabric with her and her little one in mind. I also fell in love with this zig zag quilt so I knew I had to give the free pattern a try!

I cut out 4''x4'' triangles in order to maximize my fat quarter fabric amounts. I love the tip about how to create perfect paired triangles, it's much easier than cutting the triangles out & trying to sew on the bias. I laid them all out and sewed the strips together. Here's the finished product, I think it looks great!



Front side, after washing so it's a little wrinkled.


Back side, I love this fabric and how it looks with the dark pink binding...
Can't forget the tags! Brown one is from RememberWynn on Etsy. The white one is one I made with some scraps!

It was my first time sewing binding on by machine. I found a great tutorial here for a machine binding tutorial. If you look closely in the corner on the picture below, you can see where I was a little wobbly. I'm sure practice would make it look a lot better, but what baby would care about a couple of wiggly stitches anyways?
Machine binding... It's not quite straight but it saved me SO MUCH TIME!



Overall, I learned some new techniques on this quilt and I'm very happy it was completed in time!

What's next you ask? Here's a sneak-peek...a mini-tutorial on the cute tags I've been making with the leftovers from the quilt!

Do you love this? I'll share a mini-tutorial once I get some more photos!


Thanks for reading! If you like the tutorials that I link to you should follow me on Pinterest, it's where I find a lot of inspiration!
~knittypie